Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODULE EXTENDER FOR NORSTAR 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlquestTech

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
Hi all.

We recently purchased a module extender for the Norstar Station module.

We have installed the two units back to back and it works. We also installed the F-SM-MM-05 to convert from SM to MM fiber.

Here is the problem though.
We get all green lights on both extenders and the Fiber converter shows link lights for the Single Mode and the Multi Mode, BUT the KSU does not see the station module.
We tried disabling the module and enabling, no go.

As I said, all indications on all equipment show a good link, but the KSU just doesn't seem to acknowledge tha station module?

Anyone ever have a similar problem? If so, were you able to fix it? If so, how..?

Have you got a source and meter to test the dB loss over the fiber in question?

I've had some flaky led results with the fiber extenders. One station mod kept dropping. Ended up being a bad fiber patch cable.

And it sounds like you've got the right equipment, but just to verify- the extenders require multimode fiber. The converter is only required if you've got single mode ran to the remote location. (in which case, you'll need a sm-mm converter on either end.)

yes We are converting from MM to SM.

And yes we shot the fiber and it looks ok

But it still does not work we have tried replacing cables all to no avail... We are stumped

For anyone who wants to know we found the problem
You really need to kame sure that the Local unit is connected to the KSU and the Remote unit is on the station module.

I know this seems pretty obvious but the units actually do work even if they are reversed across short distances, this is what really through us off..

As you move out the distance it will eventually fail of the remote and local are reversed.

I'm proposing the same setup for a customer, but I've never used the mm-sm converters. I was getting a little nervous.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Well we have had it on the circuit all day and it seems ok.

We are shooting about 3.6 miles and all seems ok.

The converters are a snap and the multimode link light is smart enough to look past just the link to the Extender.

The extender has to have connectivity to either the KSU or the station module before the Fiber Converters will display a good MM link Light.

Will advise if we run into any glitches.

If you don't already have it get UPS units on both ends. a power dip on one end without a corresponding reset on the other will lock up the units until you power clear them.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

That's been my experience, too. The fiber extenders work great, but are really sensitive to power fluctuations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back