Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modulation setting grayed out under advance modem setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

judicialtelecom

Technical User
Jul 20, 2006
US
The modulation setting under advanced settings in the modem/connection properties is grayed out. Does any one know what needs to be done to make that setting availabe to me so I can set the modulation to standard?

Is Standard the current setting? I'm wondering if it is greyed out if you only have one option to select. On my laptop, I have choices of Non-standard (Bell, HST) and Standard.

You might try uninstalling your modem and reinstalling to see if that straightens things out as well.

I have reinstalled the modem and it makes no difference. The Modulation field is grayed out with no choices shown, the field is just blank. =

I have a ConexantD110 MDC V.9X modem. It is Dell supplied integrated modem. I wonder if I deinstall it and reinstall it as a Hayes compatible if it might work.

My guess would be that your modem may not let the modulation be set, particularly if it is a Winmodem or similar crippled modem that the manufacturers like to stick in machines nowadays.

What kind of problems are you seeing that require you to set the modulation?

It is a very strange problem. I am trying to dial into a proprietary modem that was manufactured by IBM that is terminating on an analog line on a Rolm PBX. It appears that whenever my modem calls to a site that has a T1 trunk into that site or I am calling from a site that routes calls out of the site on a T1 line then the two modems can never negotiate a connection. I have stared and compared with another person who has procomm, a different modem and can successfully call into this same IBM modem and the only difference I can see is that his advanced modem connection properties is set to standard modulation and my profile has this field grayed out with nothing showing in the field. If I call from a analog trunk I can connect to this IBM modem provided it has an analog trunk as the last point of connection to IBM modem. So it has something to do with routing over digital trunking and modem negotiation. Got any ideas.

I don't have a machine handy at the moment to give you the exact details, but you might check to see if error correction and data compression are turned off in your modem properties. This can be an issue when calling some older modems.

I have already turned off error correction and data compression and that is not the problem. I am starting to believe that my only option may be to buy an external modem and connect it to my Com1 rs232 port, but I really hope that I do not have to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back