Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modular Messaging vs. Audix Intuity

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohtnax

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US

I am looking to purchase an Avaya S8500 phone system, and have heard contrasting things regarding the voice mail. What are the major differences between Avaya's Modular Messaging and Audix Intuity LX?

sohtnax,

the main difference is the modular messaging is modular and intuity lx is not. that is, you can have one distributed convergent messaging system supporting up to 20000 subscribers with modular messaging. intuity, on the other hand, is a small standalone solution that can be networked with other messaging systems but with limitations, and it is limited in number of subscribers (1000 if i remember correctly).

The differences go way beyond that. Modular Messaging has been the culmination of the merging of the Octel and Intuity products. In a standard Modular Messaging configuration, there are 2 servers. The Messaging Application Store (MAS) is a Windows based server that provides the front end. The Messaging Store Server (MSS) is a Linux server providing the back end database. Basically, the MAS is a UM frontend and the MSS is an Intuity Back end. There is an option to use an Exchange server as a back end server but it is not supported on 2.0.

The Inutity LX is the movement off of the proprietary Unixware OS. Again, the system is Linux based.

There is a very significant pricing difference between the two. Modular Messaging costs more but gives you more. If you simply want voicemail, then the Intuity platform is fine. If you want to do multi-media messaging then the more versatile Modular Messaging may be the way to go.

James Middleton
ACSCI/ACSCD/MCSE
Xeta Technologies
jim.middleton@xeta.com

If features like being able to access your voicemail from within your MS Outlook, or being able to use features such as Find Me are important these are features that only Modular Messaging can address. The Modular Messaging is the prime solution for 300+ voicemail users, in addition if you are looking for a very feature rich solution Modular Messaging is the best bet.

If you are less than 300 voicemail users and people want the same features that they have now, Intuity LX will be the solution for you.

Let me know if you need some futher information, we run into clients who are asking these questions all the time and give you the information you need to define which solution will meet your long term needs.

Thank you,
VOIPEng

VOIPeng (IS/IT--Manageme)
You say that 'If features like being able to access your voicemail from within your MS Outlook....are important these are features that only Modular Messaging can address.'
I thought that you could have all your messages download to Outlook from the Intuity box?
I was also wondering if the Intuity was a more reliable platform so far. I know that Avaya replaced Acer as the supplier for Intuity boxes and that has helped the Intuity Map5 reliability, but don't know if that is better than Modular Messaging. Another poster did mention that he believed that the Intuity was more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back