Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modifying XP folder permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techie64

Technical User
Mar 22, 2005
US
Would like to place an executable C++ program in the startup folder that will modify folder permissions of the current user. Assuming the user is called 'John', and the folder with permissions to be modified is called 'Reports', how is this done?

For example, once John logs in, how can I modify the permissions of the Reports folder to Allow "Full Control" or Deny "List Folder Contents" through the program code? Thanks for any help!

Why executables? You (as a local administrator) may set Report folder permissions for John (or Mary;) with Explorer - it's a simple and robust method...
May be I can't understand the question...

Hi ArkM. I realize what you're saying. I tried this as well. Due to complications with the group policy structure in currently set in place, I'd like to know a way to run a program that will do this once the user logs in.

I think you can't get round a group policy rules with API calls (we all on Windows doomed if you can;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back