Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modifying report when moving from 'test' to 'production' db reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

voirin

Technical User
May 15, 2003
AU
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me. I have two databases that are duplicates of one another: one being the production database, and the other being the test database (the only difference is in the data they contain). When I create my reports, I build the 'Links' (via Database Expert) using the test database. Now once I am happy with the final report, I then want my report to create a report on the production database. My question is, what modifications to my report need to take place for me to do this? Since all table/column names are the same in the test and production databases, I shouldnt have to do any modifications, should I? All I need to do is that once I refresh the report, I just enter the connection information to the production database, right? But is this correct? My tables/links (via Database Expert) were originally extracted from the test database. So arent these tables still tables from the test database, even though my connection information is that of the production database?

I am confused...

Any help most appreciated!

Cheers, voirin

I've done somthingk similar, developing Crystal reports on a test database and then transfering it to the live database (a copy of our mainframe database, to be exact).

This happens using Database > Set Datasource Location, and in my case needs a few adjustments because the test version has less tables and less fields. But it does work quite nicely.

This assumes that you can already 'see' both databases from Crystal, that you have access to the live one. I'd advise you to check this first, before shifting databases. (Also use Save As to keep a copy of the old one, they always do come in useful.)

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

It would be useful to provide some technical information such as data source and connection method (as well as desired runtime environment: full Crystal designer or just a Viewer).

Assuming it's ODBC, you can simply use the same ODBC DSN but point it to the new data source (in the ODBC DSN configuration dialog under Administrative Tools in Windows).

If you are dealing with many reports, this tool may be of use:
hth,
- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Did you ever find the code to switch between servers. I've been having this problem for ages and can't find anything that does it correctly. Or rather, I can onyl switch it for bog standard tables or SPs that use no parameters.

Thanks

Again, to see how to switch datasource location from code at runtime, see: faq768-5374.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back