Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying Existing c# website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2002
US

Hello,

I am currently trying to learn more about c# and asp.net. However, I have a the source for this web application with SQL 2005 backend and I would like to make customizations.

1. What would it be the best way to perform this modifications without altering much of the current application files so whenever there are updates released, I do not have too worry much about having to copy of my changes and re-compile the application? Please answer this question within this forum.

2. Is any one interested in performing this setup for me and maybe performing some consulting to answer questions that I may have so I learn more about c#, asp.net, xml and others? Please email hourly quote a gir23510 (Yahoo). Depending on how this goes, I may even consider asking the person to perform quite a bit more development in other projects that I have.

Thanks in advanced,

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions
Computer Repair, Website Design and Computer Consultant
Small Business Resources
Anime, Manga and Video Games

Gladys,

Unfortunately any changes you want to make to the back-end functionality (c# code-behind) will required being recompiled and deployed. Also, it would depend on the types of changes that you want to make...as to what is going to be required.

There is, however a way that you can make it a bit more modular, but it would almost certainly require a major rewrite, and that is to use a factory pattern application. This would allow you to load the .dlls dynamically, so in the future you may not have to recompile...the caveat is, you would need to make as much of it dynamic as possible to truly make it modular. If you are already a developer (C#, c++, java) you can probably figure this out...if not, it is a hella-steep learning curve. If you do decide to go this route, make sure you go with strongly typed .dlls (having a token for the .dll) to minimize the risk of dll injection attacks.

Hope this was helpful!
-Kevin

- "The truth hurts, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with no seat, but it hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back