Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying a Compiled program

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSH

Technical User
Jun 15, 2000
US
Somewhere I'm missing somthing. One can make an exe file with a desktop ICON using Make??? exe under the file menu.
Now,if one wants to modify that application there is no longer a Make???exe but rather Make???... and the Desktop Icon becomes a file not an application. Where am I going wrong? 73 RSH

As far as I know you can't modify it - you need to edit your source code and make a fresh .exe

You *can*, however, modify the resources (like Icons, bitmaps, strings, etc) in an EXE using a resource editor like the one in Visual Studio.

Chip H.

Ok Chip:
Thats pretty much what I was beginning to suspect.
Others have said that what you do is to edit your vbp file and then make another exe. then discard the old exe.
That doesn't work either because the second time one goes back to make???exe it reads make???... Unless one starts all over with a new form and a whole new program.
Looks to me like a oneshot deal.
If it were possible to have desktop ICON access to the vbp file I would use that in preference to exe, even if it were slower.
73 RSH

Hey RSH
Something weird is up! I modify source code (with & without form edits) routinely & create new .exe's. You have to delete the old .exe before you can reassign the same name to the new one though.

Genomon:
Tried that too and it still didnt work. However I'm on the track of my error I think. It looks like one has to make an exe out of a form file and not out of a vbp file. Wonder if you could give me your moves when you successfully
make your exe's.
We of course use the standard exe. All that other stuff is for future years.
73 RSH

I just open the project (which originated as a standard .exe), modify and test, then on the "File" drop-down menu, click on "Make nnnn Exe" and save to my distribution folder when prompted. As long as there are no naming conflicts everything works fine. Basically it is just opening the project again. If you are using Visual Source Safe, you have to watch out for naming conflicts also, as well as make sure the project is checked back in before distributing the new .exe.....
Good luck!

Thanks genomon:
Thats the way it should work. The only thing you are doing differently is saving it to a folder. I was saving mine to my own deskTop for my own use. Maybe I should jam it in a folder then save it to my desktop. We will keep trying. 73 RSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back