Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modify VBA Code in a .DOT file

Status
Not open for further replies.

VhbuiA

MIS
Oct 6, 2005
US
Hi,

Currently when a user opens up a blank word document, you can type in initials (linked to a electronic signature) and when you press "enter," the signature will appear.

It appears that this is being done in the Normal.dot template file...

My question: Is there a way to open up VBE in a .dot file, view the code and modify the path to the electronic signature (b/c I will be moving the signatures to a new location on the server)? I tried doing this (Tools>>VBE)but no code appears...

**This is all assumptions b/c the person who developed this is no longer here so don't know if it is truly stored in the .dot file**

Any help is greatly appreciated -- am I not heading toward the right direction?

Thanks!

Actually, if it is in Normal.dot you do not need to open normal.dot itself. The code modules are always available to the VBE.

You may have to expand it in Project Explorer.

Press Alt-F11 to get the VBE.

Press Ctrl-R to get Project Explorer.

Click on the plus sign (+) beside Normal.

Click on the plus sign (+) beside Microsoft Word Objects. This allows you to check the ThisDocument code module.

Click on the plus sign (+) beside Modules and see if there are any code modules. If there are, check there.

If the stuff IS in another template, then yes, you will have to open the template file itself. Do the same steps as above to look in code modules.

All that being said, it sounds more like an AutoCorrect entry. In which case, the following is from Help. I have bolded what you probably will need to do.
Change the contents of an entry

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options.
Click the entry in the list under the With box.
Type the new entry in the With box.
Click Replace.
Note If you want to change an AutoCorrect entry that contains a long passage of text, a graphic, or its original formatting, first insert the entry in a document. Then make the changes you want, select the revised entry, and click AutoCorrect Options on the Tools menu. Type the AutoCorrect entry's name in the Replace box, and then click Replace.

Gerry

Gerry -- thanks! It is an autocorrect issue and this is definitely the piece of information I was looking for!

I will it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back