Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modify popup window

Status
Not open for further replies.

don41

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
US
Any suggestions on how to modify the properties of the popup window available in the behaviors pallette of DW3? It currently displays an alert, which I would like to eliminate- I want to use this feature to allow someone to click on a word on a web page, and have a definition pop up. Thanks.

I'd also welcome alternative suggestions on how to achieve the same objective.

Dreamweaver uses Javascript to display the popup window. If you take a look at the code, you can see the string "alert(msg)" which I assume sets this to the altert window you have mentioned. Therefore you could try to change the "alert" to something else... I don't write my own Javascript so I can't suggest anything but someone in the Javascript forum might be better able to help you with this one.

As for alternative suggestions, if I were viewing your web site, I would prefer such popups to appear in a separate window which I could then close afterwards. You can control more easily the properties of such windows in Dreamweaver and they are not as intrusive as alerts boxes etc. Of course this would be more work if you had a lot of definitions to do!

Other than that, dictionary.com is a good online resource. Try looking a word up and you will see in the address bar the standard link to words. You could then make a link from your web page to the relevant page of dictionary.com (check the Ts&Cs first to make sure they don't object to this - they prolly don't but there's bo harm in checking <g>) You could use the standard address and then just insert your own word at the end. You'll see what I mean when you try it.

HTH

Stuart

Thanks, Stuart- I'll try modifying the JS code. Since the sords being defined are part of a special glossary, I don't think dictionary.com would work, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Don

Go to the Macromedia Exchange, there is a great pop up addition called Show pop up.
If you want to see it work I have it on
click on Advertising then media, and click on tell me more button to see it in action.
If you cant find it at the exchange i can mail it to you if u like.
Ian

Thanks, Ian- the link is not working for me, so I would be grateful for an email. don.cowles@compuware.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back