Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modify POP3 Connector Schedule to less than 15 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryDavidow

Technical User
Apr 22, 2002
US
Someone, please turn on the light!!!!

I am trying to find a way to modify the POP3 Connector Schedule to something less than 15 minute intervals. I heard through the grapevine that there was a registry key that could be modified to do this, but I can't find it.

Microsoft suggests doing this with an SMTP connection; however, I can't seem to see how an SMTP connection can download POP mail from an ISP and deliver it to local exchange users... (-:

Ideally, I would like to move all of our mail away from the ISP and to our server; however, lack of a static IP is hindering the process!!!! :eek:)

Please help!

Thanks

Larry

Hi Larry,

I'm having the same problem with the "15 minute" POP connector. Have you been able to resolve this? If so, please share how!

Thanks in advance,
Toonce98

Yeah I have the same problem as you guys.
I also heard about a registry hack but am still looking for it.

Any info on this would be a great help

Thanks

Lee

If any registry key is there then let us know

Hi Folks

Still no joy... I'm still waiting 15 minutes to receive my mail!!! What a total pain in the ass!

Whoever solves this one will get a galaxy of stars from me!

:-D

Hi Folks,

My research has pointed me in the direction of third-party POP connectors for Exchange: POPcon Pro and ExchangePOP3 are just two of what looks like many. These seem to bring the 15 minute limit down to 5. Haven't found any registry hacks yet though, which would be preferable. Also, I haven't seen an addin connector which will bring POP mail down whenever emails are being sent out (like MDaemon can).

Meanwhile, the internal emails are also moving at the rate of every 15 minutes. Is this something that can be changed via Exchange configurations? Exchange doesn't seem to be differentiating between internal and POP email.

Thanks for any help!

Toonce98

Toonce98...

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. As far as Internal mail goes, it should be instantaneous. Are you using Outlook for your clients? If so, it is native to Exchange, and should integrate seamlessly. If you are using Outlook, make sure that Exchange is added as an account and not as a POP3 server. Potentially, you could use the IP of the server as your POP3 server, and download mail like you would from your ISP. This is a common error people make when setting up Exchange.

Let me know how you go...

Larry

Hi LarryDavidow,

I plan to download and install the evaluation version (full-featured) of PopCon connector tomorrow. Will report back.

Meanwhile, yes I think I did make the newbie mistake of using the Exchange Server as a POP3 server, and will attempt to correct that tomorrow too. Outlook 2002 is the client. Do I add Exchange as an account right in Outlook, or from the Mail Control Panel? This also brings to mind another question: I have the ISP's SMTP server specified right in Outlook for outgoing email. Should this be going thru the Exchange Server?

As a newbie, I read a ton of stuff in preparation for doing this install. The books don't seem to address these practicalities in a a direct way.

Thanks for your help!
Toonce98

Toonce98

You can do everything through Exchange - POP3 and SMTP. My reasoning behind keeping everything on the server, is it focuses the load to one point. That way you don't have bandwidth issues with multiple users emailing large files from their workstations.

As far as Outlook goes, when you go into Tools->Email Accounts->Add a new email account, you should see the option for Exchange Server. Hit next, and it will ask you for the name of the server. Type your server's name there, or its IP address. Enter your user name, and continue through the wizard. You should be good to go.

The easiest way to avoid any problems with configuring clients to run happily in a client/server environment, is to set up DHCP either on your router, or use built in DHCP in SBS. Set all your clients to automatically get their IP from the DHCP server.

The next thing you have to do is set Exchange up to download your mail as well as send it.

It's kinda tricky and invlolves a few steps. I will be happy to help you set it up, however, my fingers aren't ready for the typing barrage!!!

You can call me at 954-464-8013 and I will be happy to walk you through it...

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your advice and your generous offer!

Today I downloaded and installed the (full-featured) evaluation version of "POPCon". It installed in about 15 seconds and it didn't take much longer than that to configure it. Now the POP3 account is being checked every minute instead of every 15 minutes. Users are much happier with new situation, needless to say! It runs as a service and generally seems pretty inobtrusive. President is so pleased he can't wait to buy the Pro license. Thanks, mrscary, for the recommendation for POPCon.

I am using DHCP that I had set up on the router. I didn't switch to the SBS DHCP because I didn't know if there was any advantage. I have a testing workstation set up in the server room and test accounts on the Exchange server. Will use this to follow your steps in configuring Outlook, and then see how it goes from there.

Thanks again for all help! [smile]
Toonce98

I suggest GFI too, you can schedule it to get emails at any interval you want.
Also I think you should define pop3 adds in Active Dir. instead of in each and every outlook clients! as simple as creating email addresses in users properties, try it and let us know.

Toonce98;

you said you can configure Popcon, may I ask you about IIS and SMTP configuration that you made? because as I read about popcon, it needs further config. after setup. and I couldn't setup any pop3 connector due to lack of info of proxy configuration, any help?

Hi Score1000,

Re IIS, SMTP and Proxy settings and POPCon: we do not have SMTP email running here, and are not using Proxy. This is a very small, basic environment. Everything on one server, running behind NAT on a router, server does not have an external IP address, using standard POP and SMTP ports, all email comes from a catch-all POP3 account at ISP (why Exchange Server is running here, that's another story, LOL).

I would suggest that you try the evaluation version and see if it works. It does not turn off any Exchange services, so doesn't seem to create any havoc. I just inserted the info about the POP3 account at the ISP, set the download schedule, and that was it. I had set the Exchange POP3 connector to "0 minutes" schedule while I was testing. Then I disabled the Exchange POP3 connector once I was convinced that POPCon was doing the right thing. In the site under Support/FAQ's there's an article on "How can I get POPcon to not work with my ISA-Server (proxy)?". You may want to have a look at that.

Good luck!

So nobody found the registry hack! Damn Microsoft, what were they thinking!

Still trying to find and answer for the Microsoft 15 minute delay issue. Anyone found anything yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back