Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modify job causes Arcserve 2000 to crash on Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webcentral

Technical User
Sep 11, 2001
AU
When I try to modify a job within Arcserve 2000 on Windows 2000, Arcserve crashes. I am able to modify, then add or remove servers, but as soon as I try to save these changes(ie, click on the traffic lights), Arcserve crashes out back to the desktop. I have contacted CA with no real solution (their recommendation was to recreate the job from scratch, not valid when we run 10-40 servers per job/4 jobs per server/10 servers, and we need to modify these jobs at least once per week). There is an error file which is dumped, the top of which is similar to this:
"Alert Version (null),Exception Handler Ver 1.0
Exception Time : Wed Oct 10 12:18:20 2001
Exception Cause : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (attempting to write)
Exception Flags : Noncontinuable exception
Exception Address : 77fca776h"
Firstly, has anyone else had this problem? (We are getting it on all servers, all jobs) And if so, has anyone found a solution to this problem?

We are running all patches, both for Win2K and Arcserve. All library and SCSI firmware is up-to-date. Currently we have rolled all archive server back to NT4, which is not having this problem.

Thanks
Chris Lang

To make you feel better I do have the same problem.
Though,have not found an answer yet.

Have you tried it from a different PC?

One work around may be to load a saved backup as a NEW backup and just change it. Glenn A
Techinical Whatever

This sometimes works, but eventually it returns to the evil ways. We are having this problem on various servers.

Not a tip, but just to let you know, we spent over 6 months with CA "technical support" to resolve our backups crashing when it was attempting to reschedule the backup job after finishing the current job. This was using ARCSERVE 2k on win 2k.

Bottom line: CA didn't resolve the problem, didn't have an answer. We had to purchase a competitor's package.

BEWARE ARCSERVE 2000!!!

Sorry for all who purchased and spent time!

Hi there!

We had the same problem here with AS2000 (SP2, build 1050).
Last week i installed the following patches in hope to get my installation Up2Date:

LO91692 -> asbackup.dll -> 03/27/2001
LO92352 -> netconn.dll -> 04/17/2001
LO94075 -> asm_dt.dll -> 04/26/2001

After updating and restarting services i was still unable to modify an existing job. But as one more (and the last) try i renamed the jobqueue directory and restarted the job engine. Now, after recreating my jobs i'm able to modify all properties and selections.
This was not working for me with saved job scripts i saved before deleting the queue! I had to recreate the jobs starting at zero. While doing this i had also to remove my existing mediapools but it's not a Problem. The pools will be recreated correctly when using the same prefix in pool name. Also all known tapes will be reassigned to the right pool and set.

Maybe i could help you... good luck!

Regards
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back