Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modems-Aux-dialin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark192

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2002
GB
I've attached a new usr modem to the aux port of one of our routers for remote admin.

Manage to ge the modem to answer with Hyperterm but thats it.

Anyone know what I've done wrong? followed Cisco's info to the letter.

The modem answers... Does your hyperterm session say "connect 9600"
If it does your connected, but something is set up wrong (could be many things)
If it doesn't, you most likely have the wrong cable (use the Cisco adapter and blue or black flat RJ-45 cable provider whenever possible)

Start there.

Cable must be ok as I can get the router to reverse telnet the modem ok.

The modem is answering and connecting, brings up conected at 9600, but then nothing.

tried Usrs and Diamonds. Got the Diamond working but then tried another and now nothing, even when I go back to it.

Is there anything in Hyperterm I need to set, just using defaults at the moment.

Mark-

post the config for the router that has the modem attached.

Post the switch settings for the USR(which tends to work best)

It will work.. I know this as I had over 200 ATMs with dialback via POTs lines like this.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Hi,

1.I'm facing a problem that when i trying to telnet into external modem,

for example: telnet 172.22.53.145 2065

It will prompt me username:
I don't know what is the correct username.
How could I check the username via hyperterminal?
How could I ensure the username had been configured?
How to create a username for telnet if necessary?

Actually I had configured the password as per the instruction from cisco website.
For example: Router(config-line)# password cisco

2. I need to telnet to medem because I want to configure the modem able to pick up dial-in call.

Thank you for your kind advice.

Best Regards,

Steward

Mike

Managed to get it working over the weekend, still got the USR's but at least I've got Diamonds and Optimas working ok.

Only need the two so I'm sorted.

Thanks anyway.

Steward, just type anything in the username, doesn't matter as far as I can tell.

Hi,

I have configured to the stage the cisco router (C2600) able to accept/ waiting a call from dialin (via AUX).

I have able to use telnet to login to modem command mode and configure the modem to pick up a call at first ring.
eg.: at&f1s0=1
at&w

However, based on the guide from cisco, it will prompt me the username and followed by password. It didn't prompt username and password, and unable to access router to do remote configuration.

Could you know what are the main steps I have missed up?

Thank you.

Steward

Have you opened the Aux port.

Take it you've configured the aux for

line 5
login
password...

Then try doing a reverse telenet to the modem if that works then at least they are configured to chat.

hi Mark,

1. I abled to dialin once into the cisco which it prompt me username and password for authentication. It connected on 24000 bps.

2. However, It won't prompt me username and password after that. And all my dialin were connected to 9600 bps.

3. Would it be the problem? for the suggestion above from you, I try enter login, it prompts "Imcomplete command"

Thank you.

Steward

At what point where you getting incomplete command?

Which router are you working on. The other thing is you do need to be patient can take a while. Would also do a reload of the router, think thats what gave mine the kick start.

What modem are you using?

I'm using router 2600, I have wait for a few minutes but not username prompt out for login. I use 3Com US Robotics.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back