Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modems and flow control

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaddeus63

Technical User
May 7, 2002
CA
I have a ESS ES2838 data fax modem, and whenever I am online and someone tries to send me a file, or a request to use a webcam, my computer freezes. I have checked out the FAQ and it instructed as follows:"Set your hardware and software to use hardware flow control. Use the AT&K3 command to set your hardware to use hardware flow control. "

how do I do this, is there a certain string I have to type in?

thank you...

First, I have to assume you are using Win98 or ME since you didn't say.

Double-click on My Computer on your desktop, then Control Panel, then Modems. You should now be in the "Modems Properties" box. Be sure your modem is highlighted, then click the button there titled "Properties." Select the "Connection" tab and go into "Advanced." Under "Use flow control," you want "Hardware {RTS/CTS)" checked there. If it isn't, check it. A little below that, you will see a box titled "Extra settings." It will probably be empty. That is where you will enter that command. Then OK all the way out, and it will be entered there and set up according to your instructions.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back