Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modems across SCN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AguaFria

Programmer
Feb 1, 2006
US
Just a heads up - I have a pair of 406v2s running on a SCN via a fiber connection. Faxes and voice work great, but started getting complaints about modems and postal meters. The modems were dialing out correctly and the other end was answering, but the sampling on the VCM - even at 7-11 - was not fast enough to get a true "handshake" between the units. If you have any modems on a SCN make sure they do not transmit over the IP line. Luckily we also had a 50 pair of copper running between the locations so I was able to connect the modems and postal meters to the master unit and get them off the slave, but I dont understand what the solution would be if there was no copper or vendor interface on the slave unit.

Ian Engel
Agua Fria Communications

Modems have never tollerated any form of VoiceCompression
(G711 my be uncompressed but it does include echo cancelation so it is interfearing with the modem signal).

You "might" be able to get a modem to work using transparent 64K but I would not recomend it.

then again if you are running a scn with three pri's you would think the customer wouldn't be using a modem - but oh well...

Ian Engel
Agua Fria Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back