Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeLacey

MIS
Nov 9, 1998
GB
Hi,<br><br>I got my 9gb drive partioned (with some help from Octal and a couple of others) Ok -- though I still can't get LILO to install itself on the Master Boot Record. Well, it *does* install itself but won't actually boot... Never mind, I'm making do very nicely with LILO on a floppy.<br><br>Now then. Modems.<br><br>After the LILO fiasco I discover that I have a WinModem -- and that they don't work with Linux.<br><br>Ok. &lt;deep breath&gt;<br><br>I dig out my trustee Quattro 144 from Cray. Install it under Win98 to convince myself it works. It does. 8N1 @ 38400 on COM1<br><br>Under Linux I can't get it to work at all - NO DIALTONE it says. <b><i>And</b></i> I have to set the linespeed to 9600 to get it to work at all ;-(<br><br>I would appreciate any suggestions etc...<br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please -- Don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

Actually, the latest releases of Linux have winmodem support.&nbsp;&nbsp;How well it works, I don't know.&nbsp;&nbsp;You said in your post about partitioning that you were installing Red Hat, but didn't say which release.&nbsp;&nbsp;Some RH release(s) (5.2 ?) have broken modem support.&nbsp;&nbsp;I didn't know *n*x diald and friends and never got my modem to work with RH 5.2, but SuSE 6.2 was quite happy with the same gear and setting it up with YaST was a cinch.&nbsp;&nbsp;I understand that the more recent RH releases are just as easy, too. <p>Octalman<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hmmm, praps I should just get a later version of Linux - specially if they do WinModem support, very impressive that if they do. Means that someone has reverse engineered comm.drv....... way beyond little old me <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please -- Don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

Just a thought, but I've not seen any &quot;out of the box&quot; distributions that offer support for WinModems.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've heard that there is an effort to provide drivers for them, and I believe that Lucent are offering an unsupported, binary only, kernel module on their website for modems that use their chipset.<br><br>Regarding the Quattro 144 - where did you get the info saying it needed a 9600 connection?&nbsp;&nbsp;If you've been looking at the UUCP Dialers, etc, then the info may be incorrect.&nbsp;&nbsp;You should be able to talk to the modem itself at 152600, and get the highest rate connection to your ISP that the modem supports.<br><br>What are you using to dial out with?&nbsp;&nbsp;Try firing up &quot;kppp&quot; and setting up a connection to your ISP and see how that goes.<br><br>For what it's worth, I would look at getting a new modem to replace the Winmodem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Don't forget that the Winmodem will be using CPU cycles to emulate a &quot;real&quot; modem's processors.&nbsp;&nbsp;This means that you're losing cycles that could be used for keeping Netscape Navigator running at a decent speed ;^)<br><br>(Some info for UK folks:&nbsp;&nbsp;Dixons had the 3Com/USR 56k Voice/Fax Modem at £60 and the Diamond SupraExpress for £70, last time I looked.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can probably knock £10-£20 off these prices if you buy mail order from elsewhere.)<br>

thx Andy <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please -- Don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

Winmodem support is going to be in the 2.4 kernel, right now its in the (very developmental) beta 2.3 version - I would highly recomend against using this on a production system, or if you're fairly new to linux - things tend to break :)

Mike,<br><br>Saw this link, <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> on WinModems, in case you are still thinking trying to make your WinModem work.&nbsp;&nbsp;Lot of good info on the page.<br><br>OTOH, I have a USRobotics Sportster (56K) external, available for about US$150, maybe a bit less now (cable extra).&nbsp;&nbsp;It uses the Rockwell chipset, probably the best; mine has been rock solid. <p>Octalman<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

thx Octal <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back