Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem vs LAN connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexter

MIS
Oct 15, 1999
US
The laptop that has been set up with a DHCP registration also has a modem that I am testing. When I connect, it keeps asking me to logon to the LAN even though I am connecting with the modem. I tried to connect to the LAN and it was too slow so I finally turned off the machine. I re-connected with the modem and cancelled out of logging on. I now get a message occassionally to log on. Is there a way to disable this? I know it will drive our end users nuts if they use this laptop.

hmmm....had the same problem with my new system; only started after installing DUN 1.3; maybe it's a DUN 1.3 specific glitch & we should try to &quot;reverse upgrade&quot; to DUN 1.2 or something to se if that will eliminate the problem......... <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Create a seprate hardware profile for the modem and the lan.<br>
Disable the lan card in the modems hardware profile.<br>
instruct your users upon boot up to select which profile they need to use.<br>
<br>
Will Sweeney<br>
<A HREF="mailto:wsweeney@atrex-inc.com">wsweeney@atrex-inc.com</A><br>

actually that doesn't necessarily work....my Win95 box doesn't have a LAN card intalled; but when I run NetZero it <i>still</i> asks for a windows networking password; must have something to do with the token password verification process that some ISPs use. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

I've seen this problem before with laptops. What I did was make sure no other network protocols or clients were bound to the Dial-up adapter, except for TCP/IP.<br>
<br>
Kris

Hmmm...I've got DCC bound to it...not sure if installed TCP/IP maybe the problem's there.....thanks for the tip. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Also, belatedly...<br>
<br>
There is a setting in dial up networking marked log onto network. Make sure that is not ticked.

<b><i>DUH!!!!</b></i> That's why is was sporradicfrom machine to machine on me; I <i>knew</i> it was going to turn out to be something <b>really</b> easy; otherwise I'd have already fixed it.<br>
thanks Zelandakh <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back