Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broder

Technical User
Nov 24, 2002
US
I have a Rockwell HCF56K modem on my Compaq Presario. I have been experiencing disconnect problems for a while when I'm on line. I have AOL and they have tried to help with their tips but nothing seems to work. Very rarely do I get to stay on line for a period of time without getting disconnected. I have a noise filter on my phone line which helped very little if any. Also when I get on line I never get in faster than 28.8, I have checked my settings and they are ok. I was wondering if there is an on line upgrade available for this type of modem that might help eliminate this problem or if anyone out there has any suggestions.
Thanks !

I could have written the exact same paragraph. I haven't solved the disconnect problem but have been told that the slow (28) speed is due to the phone lines and cannot be resolved.

even though you have a "noise filter" sounds sounds like it is a combination of noise, phone line length and modem types could even be the problem. find out what kind of server you are dailing into and check these sites out. one is mine the other is a very good troubleshooting and modem help site that should help ALOT.

In my experience, AOL and the Rockwell modem do not get along well. I recommend that you go to Compaq.com support and download the "softpaq" that is relevant to your modem. It will most likely be listed as a Conexant. BE VERY CAREFUL TO DOWNLOAD THE RIGHT ONE! If this doesn't help, you may want to uninstall the AOL adapter listed in device manager. It will reinstall on reboot. Some versions of AOL work better with the Rockwell modem. AOL 5.0 seems to agree more with the modem than newer versions.A bad installation of AOL can cause lots of problems. Even the variations from one install disk of the same version may cause glitches in the program. Do not rely on any modem strings recommended by AOL support, or as far as that goes, any of their advice! If you haven't already, be sure to check that the AOL software is using your correct modem (at sign on screen, click SETUP.....EXPERT SETUP...MODEMS) and verify that the Rockwell HCF is listed as the one being used.

The softpaq for your modem is #8897 Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back