Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Trouble 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebootd

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
US
First off, I have tried this with two totally different modems, and they both work fine in another machine so I know there is nothing wrong with them or their installation software. What happens is that when I install a modem on this particular Compaq computer, it refuses to use a legitimate COM port. If I have COM1 enabled, it will install on COM2. When I go into the BIOS and enable COM2, and reboot, the modem has switched to COM3. I have tried totally uninstalling a few times (both COM ports and modems), and reinstalling in different ways (i.e. using the Hardware Wizard, NOT using the Hardware Wizard, changing PCI slots, trying BOTH modems at once, etc.) I have installed modems many times before: but this is something I haven't encountered before - it seems no matter what I do, the OS (Windows98) plays this shell game with me and will not install any modem on a working COM port. Please help!

The modem is working fine. It is essentially a com port with a device attatched to it. It is designed to install itself out of the way of your motherboard assigned com ports, and therefore will "create" another port to use. Don't bother trying to get it onto a com port that you already have installed--It won't work.

This "problem" that you are having is a common thing for people to get frustrated over, but there is no reason. PCI modems are especially good at not doing what you think it should.

Let the modem choose a port and then try use the modem. If, at that point, the modem does not work, then you have a different issue going on.

Good luck

mudskipper, if I disable the COM ports in the BIOS, will that help the modem install properly? The error msg I am getting when I try to dial up is that the modem has no dialtone, even though there is clearly a dialtone and the system recognizes the modem no problem ("more info" in modem properties identifies it, drivers are correctly installed, etc.) - the only variable I could see was that the COM port that the modem installs on did not "exist" in Device Manager. Why else might this be happening?

Mudskipper is absolutely right about the COM ports, what you have is correct and you should not attempt to change it.

No dial tone message is sometimes caused by poor quality phone lines or connector problems. In modem properties try disabling (unchecking) the "wait for dial tone before dialling" option. This forces the modem to attempt to dial whether it gets a dial tone or not and sometimes works. If it does it is an indication that you have a problem with your lines or a connector somewhere. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Are there any conflicts showing in device manager on any PCI simple communication devices or serial ports?

futuretech204 - no conflicts at all. The modem(s) install properly - no problems at all, the system identifies and detects them no problem - I have tried changing phone lines (thats the first thing I did because it said it had no dial tone - and when the telephone is plugged in there is a dial tone)- installing a modem doesn't seem to be my problem: I had been incorrect in assuming that a COM port that the modem is on had to be enabled in order for it to work. So clearly if I am incorrect about that, then something else is causing the problem. I will try disabling "wait for dialtone" next, but in the meantime that is my question now: what else could it be?

Add remove hardware, pick hardware to install and add com port.
I havent had that problem for awhile, but add new hardware and after adding the com port add new modem and select the new com port.

I tried disabling the "wait for dialtone" feature - no change.
ONE of the two modems is a Rockwell, the other a US Robotics...

Definitely don't worry about the com port that the modem is on not showing up in device manager. It does not have to.

If you can go into your modem control panel applet, hit more info on it, and get a response, that is usually a good sign that it is installed correctly.

As for the "no dialtone", I am at a bit of a loss assuming all plugs are correct.

If you have any more info, please post back. I am very interested.

Have you tried plugging another computer into that phone jack, the fact that a phone will work in it does not necessarily mean a modem will, they are more sensitive to bad lines. As Mudskipper says, every indication is that the modem and drivers are fine which leaves the phone system as the major suspect. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back