Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem suddenly changed. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbarfield

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
3Com USR 3CP5699A modem OS/Win98. Works fine but recently as long as the phone line is plugged into computer, the phone will only ring 1 time. It does not matter if the computer is running or not. The only way we can recieve calls is if we disconnect the phone line from computer. I have had the phone lines checked and contacted USR and have not gotten any answers as of yet. This problem only started a few weeks ago. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Thanks for your input.

tbarfield@nc.rr.com

this is just a guess

there is a modem command ATS0=1 (that is a zero and a one) that tells your modem to answer the phone on the first ring. I am guessing that your computer is sending that command to your modem.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

USRs have a group of DIP switches on the rear panel. The DIP switches will override any of the AT commands that you enter, so you need to check them.

Make sure that SW1 (DTR override) is up, and SW5 (auto answer) is down. You need to power it off and back on in order for the changes to take affect.

pansophic

Thanks Pansophic but I have an internal modem. Is that what you are talking about or are you referring to an external modem?

tbarfield@nc.rr.com

Even the Sportster internals that I have used in the past also had the DIP switch bank. The only real difference is that they are harder to have been changed accidentally and the switches move side to side rather than up and down. But I haven't used a USR internal in years. I still have customers buying the externals, which is what I took a look at when I saw your message.

Still, can't hurt to check and make sure you don't have the switches. Otherwise, jimbopalmer is correct. The S0 switch is the one that handles auto answer. TAPI may be configuring that to a non-zero value, but I haven't the foggiest where to look for it.

Oh yeah, don't forget to save the change or you will constantly be resetting the S0=0. If I recall correctly, USR uses the &W0 command to save the configuration rather than the &W command. You can always issue ATZ and then AT&I4 to see if the configuration will reset or not.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back