Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Settings Keep Changing!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnzee

Technical User
Mar 19, 2001
US

MODEM: Rockwell ACf11 Data+Fax+Voice
Plug + Play

PROBLEM: When Windows 98 first detects this modem, it sets up correctly and everything is sweet as.

However on reboot it changes all the settings and the programs can't find the modem.

Short of removing the modem through DEVICE MANAGER each time I want to reboot, what can I do?

BURNZEE

Boot to safe mode.
Remove the modem(s), and all com ports in device manager.
Restart, and go into BIOS setup.
Disable com 2, set "PnP OS" to NO, set "Reset configuration Data" to ENABLED.
Restart, reinstall the modem.
Should stay where you put it now.
If not, remove the modem, change the jumpers to com 2, IRQ 3, follow the steps above again, then it will be OK. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Thanks for your help, Jim. Could not do all you recommended but did the following:

1. Booted to SAFE MODE.

2. Removed Modem and all Com Ports in DEVICE MANAGER.

3. Rebooted and went into BIOS Setup.

4. Disabled Com 2.

5. Rebooted and Windows 98 detected and reinstalled the Modem.

6. Checked out settings in DEVICE MANAGER>(Select Modem)>PROPRETIES. Modem was connected to COM 2. Previously COM 5.

7. Checked to see if programs would find Modem. They did!!

8. Rebooted and checked again in DEVICE MANAGER if the settings had changed. They didn't!!

9. Checked to see if programs could find modem. They did!!

Seems you have fixed my problem Jim. Unable to set PNP OS to NO. Also unable to set RESET CONFIGURATION DATA to NO because my BIOS does not have settings for these.

One last question, can I now reinstall Com's 1 and 3 if needed and how is it done?

Thanks Again

BURNZEE

Jim,

Great!!

Really appreciated your help on this problem, warmest
regards and thank you from Kiwi-land, (NZ).

BURNZEE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back