Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem, Resource problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiztwiz

Technical User
Dec 15, 2002
GB
For no particular reason my Dell Latitude CS is showing me a 797 error message when trying to connect to the internet. I am using a FEM656-3Com 10-100 LAN + 56 Modem Cable Card Bus PC Card (fast ethernet). I've looked under Device Manager, Network Adaptor and there is a yellow exclamation mark next to my card (could this be a conflict?). Under properties it is showing a code 010 error and doesn't appear to have the resources to run this device. Any ideas most welcome please?

If you have an exclamation mark under device manager, then there is either a conflict, or no (or wrong) driver installed.

I believe that this card requires 2 drivers, one for the network card functionality and one for the modem card functionality, even though they are on the same physical card. If you go under device manager and delete the device that has the exclamation mark, and then reboot, it will guide you through the driver installation. If you can, download the latest driver for that card on your OS. Although manufacturers are getting better about it, hardware frequently ships with drivers that don't work properly.
pansophic

I agree with pansophic but there might be a little bit more to it than just a simple driver mixup.

In general a yellow mark (by 90%) indicates either a DMA channel conflict or an IRQ line conflict.

1. Go to Device Manager
2. If the first page you should be able to see a large textbox that says

"This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

If it says anything else then

2. Check the RESOURCES tab and write down the DMA & IRQ lines needed by the hardware that has the conflict.

3. Check all other devices in your hardware list to see if any is any using the same IRQ line.

4. When you find it then go back to the faulty device and press the "CHANGE SETTINGS" button and change the IRQ line.
If the button is not available then go to the other device that uses the same IRQ line and try changing it by pressing the "CHANGE SETTINGS" button. If neither button is avilable then ...

1. Reboot your machine
2. Go to BIOS.
3. Go to Peripheral Device list (or something like that).
4. Go to the IRQ line list.
5. Set the IRQ line that the device is using (lets say IRQ10) from "PCI Legacy" to "EISA/ISA Legacy"
6. Set the "P&P OS" or "Plug & Play OS" option to "YES"
7. Set the "Reconfigure Hardware Settings at Startup" or some similar setting to "YES"
8. Reboot

When windows detect any aditional devices, follow through the installation proccess unless stated otherwise in the installation manual of each device.

NOTE: The above BIOS options are GENERIC and do not apply to all MOBOs and PCs. These changes require qualified personnel or someone "Advance" technical experience.

Hope that helped. Michael Manos
Automation R&D

Firstly, thanks both for your responses.

Pansophic, I have already deleted the device with the ! mark next to it and reinstalled it numerous times with drivers etc. but the problem still exists.

Micman, I am beginning to think it is a device conflict myself. When I click the properties of the device with the ! mark, which is the fem565-3com 10-100 LAN+56K modem under Network adaptor, I get the following messages:

Under the General Tab
=====================
This device cannot start (code 10)[when i choose troubleshooter for this device it is unable to resolve the problem for me] but talks about possible conflicts.

Under Resources Tab
===================
This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.

The drivers are all installed ok as I have another computer which is a duplicate of this problem one. Is there a way I can either copy necessary files or check on resources etc. and reconfigure the problemed system? I'm not too hot on this so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've just booted both my systems which are near on identical as I built them from scratch myself.

I clicked on View Hidden Files under Device Manager and I can see a RAS Async Adaptor on the system that is working correctly but this file doesn't appear on the faulty system. Could there be a link or should I be looking at something else?

I can't say fo sure but i don't think copying these files (there must be 2 of them) would pose any problem.

NOTE: Normally system files like these 2 are automatically copied by windows when they detect various hardware devices. In this case, i think the files had already been copied but somehow got deleted or damaged, causing the Internet connection to fail.

Hope that helped. Michael Manos
Automation R&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back