Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Looking for a top notch modem for my home, Need external, Linux support. Cost not an issue. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

latest buzzword is v.92 if that helps
I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I know that you're looking for external, but I just replaced my Wincom2 with a Zoom modem and there was a pretty good increase in speed. I was averaging about 4.50kps and now I get around 5.60/5.40 kbps download speed. they make externals too.

if your gonna go external for Linux i would recommend a Serial Model,USB modems have a bit of work before they will be stable on linux(PLEASE SOMEBODY CORRECT ME!!!),some versons of linix require you to reboot before you can use your USB modem again and there are a few soft modems available on USB so beware!
Any well known serial modem will be fine,try to get V92 and Hayes command compatible as Linux will work better with this..or at least the versions I have used!
HTH
David

If cost is no object, I've never found better than the US Robotics Courier. It will connect where others will not, gets better speed, and never lets go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back