Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem problems in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
have recently performed a clean install of XP and have not been able to connect to the internet. My modem was detected by XP and the required drivers installed however whenever i try to connect to the net there is no dial tone. The only thing i can think of that may be a problem is when windows automatically detects the modem it assigns it to COM3 where in 98 the modem was either COM1 or COM2 any ideas?

Try to re-assign the COM3 port that your modem is on back to COM1 where it should be. I know this may sound stupid but is your modem properly connected to the phone outlet to your wall??? Is the modem cable properly inserted into your PC??? Is your modem safely secured in the PCI slot where it belongs???

If all else fails, get another phone from somewhere else in your house and attach it to that outlet and check if there still is a dial tone on that phone line

I had a similar problem, It turned out to be a conflict in the irq setting under modem resources, I unchecked the auto setting and change to a irq not in conflict. the problem is solved for me.

Thanx middlejohn, since i dont have xp installed at the moment (i had to go back to 98 to get online) could you guide me through this procedure so i know exactly what to do before i reinstall XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back