Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODEM PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorecca

MIS
May 15, 2002
US
Have any one out there had this problem before? I can dail in to my connection. However, the problem is once I have connected to the server I can not access internet explorer or any other resources I have permission to use. Any suggestions of what the problem could be.

Is this on the same PC you were having boot problems with? What OS does the PC have? When you try to open up Internet Explorer, instead of opening, what does it do?

Do you mean you actually can't access the Internet Explorer program itself? Or that once you open Internet Explorer, you can't open any web pages?

I would check with the ISP to make sure you have the correct DNS entries set up. I've seen problems in the past with ISPs that claim their software installer sets the correct entries, but I've had to call and get the info from their tech support and manually enter it.

Jason H.

in you network properties for TCP/IP most likely you will need be set to dhcp (auto setup), if not you will have to find all the settings and enter them in. of course you will have to HAVE the TCP/IP protocol installed. if this is all jargon to you I would call my internet provider and ask that they help me set up my service.
FatesWebb

if you do what I suggested it is not my fault...

Since our last conversation, all settings are correct. ITP, dhcp, etc. Now I have another problem. When I try to connect to dail-up I get an error that says "The computer you are dailing into is not answering. Try again later" I get this error over and over, but the computer is not busy .

I am using a standard modem with maximum speed of 57600. Connection with 8 data bits, partity-none and stop bit l.
flow control-hardware(RTS/CTS)

Any suggestions of why I cannot connect to the server.

Your problem could be caused by a number of things but check to see if your modem is Flex technology or X2. Flex is used on low end modems and is not universally compatible with all systems. X2 is much better.

For instance the PCI Winmodem from USR is Flex while the 56k ProModem from USR is X2. I have seen it where blue screen and connection problems go away immediately after the Flex modem is removed and replaced with the X2 modem.

ChrisK

A 56K X2 modem will operate at 33600 max if your ISP is V.90 only. I had that problem with a Sportster 56K X2 faxmodem. It wouldn't go any faster than 33600. I got rid of it and put in a V.90 modem and now connect at 44000. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Thanks! the speed was a problem. I set it to 38600. And changed other settings also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back