Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevJason1

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2001
US
I have a Modem attached to my NT 4.0 server...it is installed and seen by the system. I cannot howerver use it users can not dial in and I can not dial out. I can not even use hyperterm to see what is going on I would appreciate any ideas on the subject

Revjason1

You must configure the system to use RAS. You must also grant users the ability to dial-in the server.

If you haven't installed RAS, don't expect your system to do what you are intending...

Check this Technet site out for step by step instructions (its very easy):

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Can you use the phone dialer and phone a normal lan line or are you not even able to do that.????

Dan

m1ckey,

I can do nothing with the modem at all I can not get out or in I have tried to get to it thought Hyperterm to see waht was going on with it but I can not open the port

Your not using a WinModem are you? From what I last heard about WinModems they are not supported by Windows NT. Does the Modem state on the box that is supports Windows NT? Have you installed all the drivers for the modem? david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

no it is not a win modem it is a US Robotics external modem. It has worked before but it seems to have all of a sudden stopped working

Can you see both of your com ports? COM1 COM2 (if installed)? You can also try Windows Diagnositics and see if the system shows the COM Port, and what is attached to it. To elminate the modem being the issue, try hooking it up to a workstation and see if you can get a dialtone on it. Could be working with a modem that has gone bad.
david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

I had a similar problem with USR externals (as well as internals, too ...:)). One of the solutions, is to delete modem, wipe off all the modem config files (.inf, .sys - you MUST know what they are, though), reassign ports as free, go to registry and wipe modems off there, too, and try to reinstall them again (reboot after each step). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. m1ckey is right: if can't dial out, don't try anything else, first make sure, that the modem is functioning. Oh, yes, and remove RAS, too, before reinstalling the modem - you can add it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back