Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem port probs please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjaykay

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
GB
I have just formated my hard drive and reloaded win 98 v1 with no problems. I have loaded everything ok except the modem.

The correct modem is shown in the device manager and I have loaded the correct driver from the original modem disc

The modem is showing up on com 1 is this correct because when i try and connect to the internet i do not here the modem engage and the message modem not found is displayed, even though everything looks fine in the device manager.

Ps When open up the modem panel in the control it will not let me change the port assigment for this device!! eg com 1,2 ,3,4 etc

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to help me out with this prob

JayJayKay

Probably not the correct port. Look in your BIOS to see if you have 2 serial ports active. Most machines do.
If you have 2 serial ports active , then modem should go higher. One way is to delete all references to it in windows, then pull it for one boot, then shutdown and reinstall it.
Generally this will sort it out. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Quite a few BIOSes also have the option to force the modem to COM3. Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net
AKA Nick Burns - Your Company's Computer Guy
"Would you like me to save your game of Minesweeper first?"

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

i know this may sound too simple to be true but did you make sure the phone cord is plugged into the Line side of the modem and not the Phone side? Simple .... yes, but , sometimes simple things get overlooked because they are just that.

Also check device manager for a conflict with a serial port.If there is reinstall the drivers for the serial port by pointing it to the modem drivers disk.If it is a winmodem, it will usually cause a serial port error in device manager. When the modem drivers are installed on that conflict, the PC will usually find a modem itself then install it.

If you change your IRQ from 4 to 3 it will automatically reset to COM 2 or 4 upon rebooting. 2&4 always use IRQ3 as COMM 1&3 and occasionally 5, always use IRQ4.
Of course you could just enter the bios on boot up and check that you have the IRQ set correctly as well. I have to set mine correspondingly in 2 places with my AWARD BIOS ver4.06 otherwise it will cause failure. Hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back