Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODEM ON TSE 3.2 SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBIDIGUDA

Technical User
Jul 15, 2008
IT
Hello I need to known how do I install a modem on ESU board??!!Somebody can help me??

Sorry I need to known how do configure modem?

Here's something one of my lads put together:

Requirements:

Modem, Serial Cable, SLES 10.0 DVD or RPM's from

/** Please note that G3 Utils will be required when installing from the DVD **/

Mgetty - mgetty-1.1.33-16.2.i586.rpm
G3Utils - g3utils-1.1.33-16.2.i586.rpm

To do any software installations you are required to be logged in as root. The default ESU settings do not allow root to log in over ssh so after logging in with ERI account change user into root. To move into root is simple enter the following command followed by the root user password:

eri_sn_admin@ppr-mx1L1:~>su
Password:

/********* Installing from the DVD ************/

Type "yast" into the commend line. This will launch the GUI interface. In the first section which is labeled Software navigate down its sub menu to Software Management. Yast will now read in the current configurations. Tab around to the Search option and enter in the Search Phrase field: mgetty
This will show the rpm package in the a short summary of its details. Tab around to the Accept it shall move into a new screen and then ask it you are removing or installing. Select Yes and the process will contine and then return to the search field screen. Now exit Yast.

/********* Installing from RPM ************/

Either have the RPM's on a USB stick or use WinSCP to copy the rpm's onto the ESU. In the lab I've stored these files in the Install_Files Directory.

Use the command when root user:

ppr-mx1L1:~>rpm -ivh mgetty-1.1.33-16.2.i586.rpm
ppr-mx1L1:~>rpm -ivh g3utils-1.1.33-16.2.i586.rpm

This will show the installation process and a status bar whilst installing the packages. I found when using this rpm method during the mgetty installation it required the g3utils feature to be installed before hand. This is same command with the different .rpm file. This will take a matter of seconds. Once these have been completed the new directory will be created. /etc/mgetty+sendfax

/******** Mgetty Configuration *********/

In the mgetty.conf file you need to add some details. Notice in the file that any lines that start with # will be commented out and the settings are not read by the Operating System.

vi mgetty.conf and then nagivate down the config to the last port ttyS0 line. Enter in the follwoing details.

#
#
port ttyS0
direct yes
speed 9600
data-only yes
toggle-dtr yes
port-owner eri_sn_admin
port-group root
port-mode 0664
vtl102
#
#

Move back into the /etc directory by using the cd .. command. Now use the vi editor to edit the file inittab vi /etc/inittab navigated down to the modem details and remove the # that comments the line out shown below, and finally add the 9600.

# modem getty.
mo:235:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty /dev/ttyS0 9600

Save and Exit. In the command line enter the final command.

telinit q Now we need to check that the file has been intialised in the /etc/inittab and reading the mgetty port configurations.

/********* Testing ********/

Its quite simple to test. First use this command to check the service is running.

PPR-MX1L1:/etc # ps -ef|grep mgetty
root 28674 1 0 16:53 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/mgetty /dev/ttyS0 9600
root 28677 28249 0 16:54 pts/1 00:00:00 grep mgetty

Then connect a pc or laptop to the serial port on the ESU and login via winfiol. When testing it over a modem it is very slow so be more patient as it has been slower communicating than NIU driven systems.

/******** MDSH only on login ***********/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back