Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileman

Technical User
Apr 16, 2002
US
I have a Compac PII w/win98 that belongs to a friend with a modem that is not working. When I go into the Device Manager and click on the modem, I get an error "Cannot read Port name from Registry". I have tried to access the bios to see if there is a problem there, but I haven't been able to access yet - with the function keys. I put a spare modem of mine in the machine and still get the same error.

What do you see in DEVICE MANAGER under PORTS?

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Apart from the obvious question "Have you loaded the correct drivers" have you been to Control Panel and properly configured the modem. One thing immediately springs to mind, Have you selected the correct Country in the setup, Also, if it won't work on Com port1 try Com port 2. Good luck......Dave

I have tried switching from com1 to com2. I have tried the file wmregdel.exe as per microsoft "all thought this is a Rockwell modem" after removing the modem and yes they were the correct drivers.

Compaqs suck for having "special" hardware/drivers......bring the box to Dr.Hammerdrill and give it a checkup[smile]

Internal or External modem???
WinModem???..56K/Voice/Fax capable??

If so, it's going to use a Vcomm port (virtual communications) not serial.
Exact modem specs?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

The modem is a data soft/conexant 56k data-fax, not a winmodem. The modem listed on the system when it came to me was a Rockwell 56k, but the part number is for a data soft. I have downloaded the software for this part number, but I still have the same error.

So Internal Card?
If so, you may have a Hardware config error......get into BIOS.....Compaq usually F10 to enter when the cursor at boot up jumps to right side of screen.....try ESC or Del key as well

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

also MS articles say a "winmodem". It can get really screwy, as you may want to "Reset" the ESCD in BIOS for Interrupt assignment and depending on whether it's using ACPI, more issues may erupt....Try unassigning the Interrupts(uncheck the box, "Use IRQ Steering") in the PCI BUS > IRQ Steering in Device Mangler....Compaqs also have a diagnostic partition to help (yeh right!) on bootup.
Remenber OEMs like Compaq have very hardware specific drivers for their parts/mobos.

TT4U

Notification:

tt4u
I try these susgestions!! If these does not work - do you think that just formatting and reinstalling win98 will work?

I would be extremely careful with Compaqs for this "unless" you have the specific "System Retore CD".....some compaqs have the "Actual" BIOS Code on the HDD, not in the CMOS chip....so if you wipe that you're screwed. (in that situation, the info on the chip is just a "pointer" to the Real Code which exits on a "hidden" partition on the HDD.....
Some more info;

TT4U

Notification:

tt4u

Thanks for the link. I was looking at Compaq earlier and a restore disk can be ordered for this computer (Presario 5050). I'll discuss this with the owner and see what they want to do. Thanks Dave

I agree with TT4U. Compaq can be a real PITA. At one time they even had their own version of DOS that made it all but impossible to diagnose. Like TT4U says, don't jump rught into the format thing without the EXACT restore disks - otherwise you'll end up tossing it in the scap heap - which, IMHO, is wher it belongs anyway...

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

i agree with the other compaq are bast*rds to work on.the only pc i have managed to dislocate fingers on trying to work inside.
what other cards are in the computer? if more than a modem try removing the other card also try putting the modem into another slot. also check accessibility options in control panel they might have serial keys enabled etc. if so disable them.

The person that owns the computer is supposed to be getting the original restore disks that came with the computer. I will also check to see if the serial keys are enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back