Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem not on correct comm port 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKERSHNER

MIS
Sep 6, 2001
US
I just reinstalled Windows 98 SE on my computer - it had crashed. I am trying to install a SupraMax 56K modem on comm port 3 but whenever I go through the modem installation screens it only shows comm port 1 and comm port 2. How do I get it to show a comm port 3.

you should be able to add new com ports thru the add new hardware wizard under control panel

Why do you want it on COM3? COM3 uses the same IRQ as COM1, anyway (IRQ4), so you cannot use the two at the same time. That particular modem may not be set so it will accept COM3, anyway.

I assume that your Windows crashed because the modem is on COM1 or COM2, but it won't crash when the modem is not installed, right? If that is the case, go into CMOS and disable the COM port that the modem is on, whether it is COM1 or COM2. The reason is that the modem IS a COM port, and if it is like many modems, it cannot function when the port it is assigned to is active.

Sometimes, by the way, Windows will not recognize the disabling of a COM port in CMOS. If this is the case, you may have to go into Device Manager in Windows and disable the port there. You may, incidentally, need to remove and reinstall the modem after (or even before) you have disabled the COM port.

I had to do a lot of assuming since I did not have much information regarding your situation. Let me know how it turns out, or steer me right.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back