Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Not getting installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxx2301

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
IN
I have a P.C with the following specs:-

P III 1.0 GHz, 128 Mb RAM, 40 GB Samsung HDD, 52x CD-ROM with Win 98 SE o/s.

My internal modem was SM56 Motorola speakerphone. All of a sudden, the modem stopped working and upon removing it from inside the CPU from the mobo, I noticed a dark circle on the backside of the card - I do not know whether it is due to electrical short circuit.

Well, my problem is that I tried to connect an external modem, the hardware details of which are unfortunately unknown. I connected it thru com 1 port and removed all instances of the earlier internal modem thru device manager. When I tried to boot the computer it detects the modem only sometimes and not always. It detects it as a Standard 33.6 Modem and proceeds to install it. If I allow it to find the driver itself, it is not able to do so. A dialog box appears with a message "Windows detected a modem but did not add it because Setup Information file was not found or corrupt". If I override windows detection and try to select from the available list, I have problems. Instead of the window wherein modem manufacturers and their models are displayed, I get a window where only the model "SM56 Motorola Speakerphone" is displayed. I am unable to select the manufacturer of the modem and the model since it is not displayed.

I have tried numerous times to install the modem but unable to do so. Pleeeeeaaaaassssse help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First , do you have w98 drivers (cd or diskette) from
the manufacturer.
Hav a look at

Install the right driversoftware exe file.
delete the faulty identified modem.
Reboot win98 should now install your
modem with new drivers

I will try to visit the site and find out whether the driver is available.

As far as the re-installing Win 98, I tried to do that but in vain. After verifying the local drives, setup is aborted with a message " There is not enough disk space available ......" However, the free space available in C; drive is about 3 Gb.

Is my not getting the manufacturer and model window something to do with corrupt win files??

Thanx for the prompt post.

No it's means the win98 doesn't have buildt in support for your new modem .(assigning it as generic 33bps instead)
If you get som install software this will add that new modem to win98's driverdatabase ,so it recognizes it when the "found new hardware wizard" starts.

If you only get drivers (nor an exe file that sets it up for you) do this:
"add neww harware wizars starts" dont let it install automaticly, choose "have disk" or something ant browse for the folder where your xxxx.inf file for new modem is copied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back