Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem not detected 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltp9999

Programmer
Jun 17, 2002
US
I just installed SuSE Linux 8.2 and the internal modem went undetected. (Makes it hard to surf for answers)

Looks like the modem uses Lucent protocols.

Can someone help a newbie find and activate the modem?

Thanks,
Walt

You have what is referred to as a Winmodem. It relies on the Windows OS for it's operation. There is help out there, though, at I've had mixed success getting these things to work under Linux, so I tend to just avoid them if possible, but that's getting harder to do these days unless you use an external modem.. If it is inexpensive, odds are that it's a Winmodem.

Thanks FM, I'll check out linmodems.org. I remember years ago that a WinModem, unless I'm mistaken, simply meant it was a modem with windows drivers and the 'Win' was sales fluff.

So what does the hardware do special that requires Windows? It seems to me there should be drivers that can be written to handle the hardware interaction regardless of the OS being used. Especially when the two OS's use the exact same hardware in the rest of the box. Doesn't a Lucent modem have a standard command set and communications protocol irregardless of OS?

I'm mainly hardware unaware, never studied anything beyond software dev, which is why I don't get this hardware limitation. Bare with me.

Essentially, a WinModem is a modem with driver most likely ONLY for windows. The makers got rid of the timing hardware so that the CPU could do it. The problem is most hardware companies that make Winmodems dont give a dump about Linux.

Your standard hardware modem has all the guts that Winmodems dont. You also use a standard called HAYES AT command set to control the modem.

However, I think Lucent does have drivers for Linux. I believe it's the HCF linux fax/modem drivers. Conexant/Lucent supports the making of Linux drivers. Check here:
Good luck.

Please let Tek-Tips members know if their posts were helpful.

Have you ever heard of the "Last Mile" problem, Rory? It costs too much for high speed, low latency connections to put in nowheresville.

For the longest time, modem was all I had. And I was happy with that.

Please let Tek-Tips members know if their posts were helpful.

I could tell, Rory ;-)

Thanks for the info, Krale. After posting I found out what a winmodem really was -- essentially a crippled piece of hardware to save $.

I didn't see anything on the Conexant page, and linmodems.org implied my modem might work but no guarantees (at least I think that's what yellow meant, they're cryptic with the explanations).

I may just have to get another modem.

I am facing the same problem. I have external Cobra Modem. but linux Red Hat 8 does not detect it. I am checking he link you have providede, but any other ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back