Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Not ALL There

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick360

Technical User
May 24, 2004
US
I installed a Neto Dragon modem from Encore into a fairly new PC with a Abit MB w/ AMD 2900+XP uP. I am running W98SE. Have nic built in and all was working fine until I installed the modem card.

After installing the modem the system freezed up whenever it tried to dial out. I thought it may need uninstalled and reinstalled, so I ran the Uninstall for the driver deleted it from the device manager etc. Restarted and tried to reinstall it. It detects the modem w/ PnP and I can load the driver fine. Appearing normal. The modem shows up correctly in the device manager and says it is working properly, but doesn't show up under "modems" in control panel. When I try to "add a new dial up connection" it brings up the dialog box to install a new modem, as it doesn't have any in it's list to add a connection to.

I've removed and uninstalled everything (including the card)and after reinstalling it always ends up the same.

What am I missing? I've even tried uninstalling communications from Windows and reinstalling it. The network card still works fine and no other problems. Could a bad modem be causing this? Why wouldn't it show up in all or nothing?

help!

Rick

I've used a Netodragon modem before, and noticed some instability with the drivers supplied. Download the latest drivers and see if this helps, it did for me. You should completely uninstall the old drivers first.
Andy.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:

Thanks for the reply Andy. I had downloaded and tried the newest driver but it still didn't work.

I finally got tired of screwing with the piece of crap modem and bought a US Robotics and it installed and works perfectly. Guess I won't be buying the $10 pieces of crap anymore. It just wasn't worth all of the time I spent trying to make it work.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back