Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem lockup on AIX 4.3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmssi

MIS
Aug 22, 2000
US
I have a us robotics 56k external modem on serial port 2 on the back of the system s2 port. From time to time it will lockup the port and can't dial out or dial in. Then I have to resort to rebooting the RS6000. The RS6000 is a model F50. The modem is currently on tty1. When I run the errpt -a it shows that tty1 is respawning too rapidly. So I tried replacing the cable since usually that means bad cable. No luck. I also tried deleting the tty and re-adding the tty1 in smit. No luck there either. The funny thing is that the modem will work for a while and then for some reason not work as all users log off of the modem cleanly. Just started happening the last month or so. Have had a couple of power outages, but everything seems fine. Any ideas or things to check for? [sig][/sig]

Did you try hooking up a &quot;known good&quot; modem to the box, or hooking up that modem to a &quot;known good&quot; box? [sig]<p>Jon Zimmer<br><a href=mailto:b0rg@pcgeek.net>b0rg@pcgeek.net</a><br><a href= Aetea Information Technology</a><br>The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.<br>
[/sig]

I have not tried that yet as I just have the 1 56k modem and just 1 RS6000 and I don't want to go get a new modem until I am absolutely sure that it may be the modem. I have hooked up the 56k to a PC and seems to work fine for dial out there but to me that might not mean much though. [sig][/sig]

The big question: how are you connected to the outside world, i.e., does the modem go through a switch or is it a dedicated outside line? [sig][/sig]

The modem is a dedicated phone line. [sig][/sig]

Have you trying setting your modem to a valid POSIX speed in AIX? in flash memory of modem? Have you tried setting it to a lower speed? Have you tried using HARDWARE FLOW control in AIX?

I hope it works... [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back