Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Internal Authentication and Help Toubleshooter Errors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trybry

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
US

I not sure, if ths was truely a hardware problem. I think it is a software problem, but either way I'll post it here too.

Hi,

I have a LT (Lucent Tech) 56k dial-up modem. It all runs on a Win98 (1st ED) powered laptop (Toshiba). One day I plugged in my PnP (USB) Web Cam (Creative) while on the net (dial-up).

The next time I attempted to log on, I could not log-on to my regular ISP, I tried my back-up ISP too. But I could not maintain a connection. I got a message mentioning "Internal Authentication Error". I also checked the Modem log and it mentioned a failure to lower modem speed.

The system has worked fine for years and I'm not sure what exactly happened. I have tried the following;

1) Un-installed and then Re-installed the modem, Com Ports and software
2) Tried different ISP's software (could not get past the Authentication phase).
3) Tried other modems (external) to connect and got the same message.
4) Tried to change IRQ's for Modem

My question is how do I solve this problem? Since the modem is able to use dial-up networking, fax and ISP software to dial out.

Is it a virus or a Joker program, slipped in when the system tried to load drivers online. How do I fix the problem. I am unable to access the net with my laptop.

I wanted to try some Win98 troubleshooters, but they seemed to be disabled too. Can someone get in and change my ID so that the server won't recognize me?

Can someone also tell me how to, re-install Win98 help from a Configuration disk. Help is not listed as an item to download from the disk.

I am totally confused and bewildered!

Please help me!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back