Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Installation Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

srossbach

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2000
US
I have installed a new 3Com PCI modem in my Windows 95 system. Upon installation it asks for the Winmodem Installation disk to be inserted - which it says is provided by the manufacturer. Does anyone know what this would be?

This is a clone machine - a new hard drive has recently been installed and the windows 95 and Office 97 re-installed. I am now trying to get a modem installed to put the computer online - but can't get it to work.

In device manager I show the following:
+ ? Other Devices
? PCI Bridge
? PCI Universal Serial Bus

Could this have anything to do with the PCI modem problem?

I am baffled!

That's a standard modem. It could get tricky if some of the files are on the computer or you installed the wrong drivers. You can find the drivers for that modem on any major manufacturers website probably easier than on 3com's. It might be 2+ MB's though, so putting it on disk becomes a hassble if you split the install file up.

As far as the PCI Bridge and what not. You can fix that by running a Ultra ATA install .exe or Integrated drive controller install. If that's laying around it's just a black disk with a basic white label on it. That's a quick fix, it also can be downloaded.

Delete the USB reference and when Windows reboots it should finish installing on it's own. If the USB still doesn't work you need a Win95B CD and you need to run a program called usbsupp.exe located in the "other" directory on the CD.

That should do it. Ciao.

Scott

I've been having the same problem with an older Sony Vaio a friend gave me. The modem is some kind of 3com 56k Faxmodem, and the booklet says something about a "Connections" software cd that came with it. I'm looking for it online. I'll check back if I find a fix. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back