Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem - how to identify 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

piaff1

Technical User
Dec 9, 2000
GB
My client has reformatted drive and reinstalled windows Me.
She has lost all driver disks which came with computer and does not know which modem is installed.
Windows can not recognise it and will not work with generic driver.
How can I identify it. Do I need to physically look inside PC or is there an easier way.

There are two ways to approach this:

1. Open the PC and look for some identifying mark (i.e. a serial number, model number or manufacturer).

2. Try telling the software to use Microsoft Update to search for drivers.

One of those should get you a solution.

Cheers!

If there are no identifying marks, you can do a search for the FCC ID# found on the card. The search will give you the specs. You can do the search several places. I usually use

Thanks for suggestions, but I'm afraid Windows Update and belarc won't work as we can't access the internet on this computer until we identify the modem. I will try to find identifying marks on card though.

Thanks bcastner,
I have downloaded aida and will try it out.

why not just add it as a generic whatever speed modem?

either that or buy a used one... they're cheap anyways!

Modems are particularly difficult to fing the exact driver for, even within one chip type there are often dozens of drivers.
At around $15 for an internal hardware Ambient I have to ask is it worth the hassle?
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back