Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Error Message: Port already Open/Can't open Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

leart3

Technical User
Aug 4, 2000
US
What causes the error message Port already open or Can't open port. The phone has a dial tone, there is no errors in the Device Manager, no irregularities in the modem resources, and I have removed and installed the modem several times.

I get this error message when I click on the connect dialog box. The phone don't ring and the error is indicated in the connect dialog box.

leart3

Sounds to me your modem isnt physically configured, or it's not initialized, try going to HyperTerminal or something like that and typing ATZ
should come back with a "OK"

Are you running any Fax software set to auto-receive? If so, turn this off. Also, check to see what serial driver is being used....should be comm.drv..if not some other application has replaced the standard windows com driver with one of their own.

You can check this by going to modem in control panel, then diagnostics, and selecting the driver button. If it is not comm.drv, look for the driver name in the System.ini and comment the line from being used...reboot and retry.

What kind of modem and what else is on the system that could be robbing resources.
And what OS are you running. Have fought this problem several times with winmodems and 95B&C. Don't remembe4r all the details but seems that SCSI card for scanner, sound card, and fax software have all been implicated.
And it was a bear.

dxd:

There is not Fax Software running and comm.drv=comm.drv is in the system.ini file.

edfair:

This is w95a with sp-1 and a NewCom 33.6 modem. Earlier today I did find an IRQ conflict that is being changed on it own. But I corrected this problem for the 3rd time, but now it will dial but it won't connect. It gives an error message, "unknown error" and disconnect, and I have used several ISP and several phone numbers from each. It shuts me off at "authorization", as if there is a password problem, but it's the same password I've used all along.

leart3

Never really liked Newcom modems. Have always had problems with them. Have you checked your INIT string? It might not be hanging up correctly. Does it do this when you have already made a call? And does it get fixed when you reboot your computer?

J.Saucier:

I'm using the problem computer now, and I just got it to work, somewhat. The system is buggy. It seems as if it sticks the port open sometimes when I try to connect. When I reinstall the modem, w95 reinstall it with a "Conflict". I've never known windows to install a device on a conflicting IRQ.

What I did that seems to have corrected the problem was to reinstall the various ISP softwares. So the problem could have been some type of corruption of the software. But I'll try it again in a few days to see if the problem is corrected.

leart3

It will install conflicting IRQ's if they've all been taken or the pre-assigned ones have been taken. I have seen this before.

Since there appears to be a conflict created on the modem install, have you considered removing all the ISP software and the modem, then reinstalling the modem first allowing the ISP software to find the modem where it sits.
These are the kind of problems I'd expect if the modem reinstalled at a different place after some sort of glitch.
This may not help, but it is the sequence I'd follow before trashcanning the modem. And this is why my computers and all my customer's computers have external modems.

edfair:

I use to use an external modem 8 or 10 years ago, but there is such a big difference in cost that I have to go with the "Internal". But I had problem with that external also. It was called "Vi Va Vi Va" or something like that. I don't think they make that modem any longer.

My problem seem to have started with me switching the telephone line from one computer to another, but nothing was changes (software or hardware) on the effected computer.

At that time I also experienced another minor problem with the phone line when I hooked up a "Jack" to have two modems on two different computers going to one phone line, my telephone would go dead, but when I disconnected the line of one of the computer's modem I was able to get a dial tone. I haven't figured out that problem yet. The "Jack" seem to be ok. In other words I want to setup two computers to one phone line without having to unpluging one and connecting the other.

leart3

As far as the two modems on one line. Plug the line jack of the second into the phone jack of the first. Set the ring number higher for the second one. First one will answer incoming if the computer is on.
It was a "VIVA". And I haven't seen one since 2400b days.
After you fry enough motherboards from line strikes the extra cost of the external will be worth it. Besides, I like to watch the flashing lights. And from a repair standpoint the external wins "hands off" (off the CPU box).
The dead line problem probably due to wiring effectively leading to the phone line being shorted with the combo of jacks, cables, and modems.

edfair:

I booted up that problem computer again today, and the IRQ conflict was there again. It (conflict) was being created each time I booted up. I went to my CMOS setup and observed that the Modem was listed on IRQ 4, and that appears to be the reason it goes back to IRQ 4 each time I reboot. Consequently this setting was creating the conflict since com port 1 is using IRQ 4 and the modem is on com port 4. So each time I eliminate the conflict I end up using IRQ 5, so when I reboot it goes back to IRQ 4, so I changed the CMOS modem setting to IRQ 5. So I haven't gotten another conflict yet. But i'll check it again tomorrow.

leart3

Can you give up either of the standard com ports? Probably best to give up com1 by disabling at board setup. This will allow the modem to be there all by itself. and 95 should be happy since it is a standard port address and doorbell.
And review of thread shows no info on other hardware on the system. What do you have installed that would use the serial ports? And what about sound card? They have a lust for IRQ5.

edfair:

I haven't considered changing anything on the board, but I did find out why it was changing back to a conflicting IRQ each time I booted up. Since I changed the IRQ manually, I was suppose to leave the "Automatic Check Mark" unchecked for the manual change to take effect even though I changed the setting in the CMOS and saved it. So for the time being the conflict is not reoccuring on boot up if I leave the "automatic" unchecked.

I think my mouse is on com 1, there is nothing on com 2 or 3. I was considering at one time changing the modem from com 4 to 2 or 3, but I couldn't find out how to do it, but like you say, i'll have to change it on the board. I'll check that out. Thanks.

leart3

Don't know the modem, but if you can disable com2 on the board and reinstall the modem to com2 your problems should end. note the probably. these things have a nasty habit of not doing what you expect. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

Simon:

I checked that Microsoft site out. Even though it indicated that the information was for win98 I'll see what works. Thanks.

Edfair:

I'll try and change the modem to com 2, but since I eliminated the conflict and changed the CMOS setting, every thing is working alright. It seems that when I eliminated the conflict earlier I didn't change the CMOS setting for the new IRQ. Thanks.

leart3 [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back