Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem drivers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trentham

Technical User
Nov 9, 2002
GB
I am increasingly having problems with getting *complete* modem driver software.

On a number of occasions I have been rebuilding machines which have a working modem and there is no driver CD available. Although I search and download drivers which claim to be adequate for the modem, they tend to be unable to cope with the PCI communications device that the modem uses, i.e. the comms port.

Can some knowledge-enabled body enlighten me as to the processes which are involved; is there some way round this comms installation problem?

Also, given that the modem works on the old system, is there some way of getting together all the drivers and other stuff from that system so that it can be reinstalled on the new system?

Kind of depends on what the old and new systems are. If you are changing the OS then you most likely need new drivers. Check to make sure you can get drivers before you do the update. Some times you will have to get drivers for the chip in the modem instead of the modem card itself. There seems to be no absolute answer to this question. Each time it's different. (At least for me it has been)

You may want to look for older drivers on It is a free membership and I have found many drivers there that I could not have found anywhere else. You should search by chipset # and brand. If anyone else has any other resources please share...I would like to have a few more

driverguide.com is normally my first port of call but so rarely do I get the complete package. The drivers for the modem are fine but the PCI comms device still causes a problem.

If you can give us the information on the modem (brand, chipset, speed, etc) maybe we can help you find what you need. :)

-IQ

Well the most recent one was a Diamond SupraExpress 56i PRO and I've also got problems with one saying it is 1456VQP-SP - both Rockwell Chipsets.

I've managed to find bits for similar looking things but nothing has given me the PCI serial controller that I need.

Things were so much simpler when you just plugged in a modem and said it was a standard thing!

Watch out for these old modems. For instance, the supraexpress say's 56k, but since all the ISP's are using v.90 and v.92, these old modems won't work at full speed.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that and it's worth bearing in mind.

I briefly scanned this thread. Was checking the manufacturer's website for up to date drivers mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back