Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODEM DRIVER????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisegi

Technical User
Aug 26, 2003
CA
HI...

I have recently rec'd a older P3 CPU, I have gone through and reformatted the hard drive and have reinstalled everything that is required.

Except one thing... I can't seem to locate the proper Modem driver for the modem that is installed? All I know is that it's a 56k modem... Any ideas?

Look at the modem for id/model no. normaly on the main chip something like pctel, rockwell, conexant and off the makers website or try modem-drivers.com user: drivers pass: all sometimes a goodsite

What OS ?

Does it give you a 'find new hardware' window before it completes the boot ? If so, you might be able to use a generic driver for that manufacturer that is already in Windows. Take a look at the modem, I assume it's inside the box in a pci slot, and try to determine the manufacturer.

Is there a Modem entry in Device Manager ? If so, expand the category (+), and
It might tell you what kind it is. (control panel/system properties/device manager.

It will give you step by step instructions to install the drivers. You find the manufacturer in the list, and then it will give you a choice of the versions of drivers that are within the OS. If the found new hardware box doesn't come up on boot up, then go to 'add hardware' in the control panel abd load drivers from there.

OR, if you can determine the Manufacturer, go to their website or try to get the correct ones and the latest version.

You can sometimes find out the mfr of the modem if you can locate an FCC Id number on it. The first three characters of the Id can be used at > search > FCC Id to find the mfr. Most of the generic modems use the base drivers from the chipset makers anyway, so if all else fails, try that.
.bh.
[sunshine]

HI Again...

Thx To everyone for all their help... I have found out the modem and loaded the proper drivers... However now I have another question... How do I assign either Comm Port to use the modem .... I try the diagnostics section of the properties tab but it doesn't initialize the modem.. even though I have the correct driver installed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back