Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem dialup to internet fails second time

Status
Not open for further replies.

colmb

Programmer
Nov 14, 2001
IE
Hi,

A strange one here. I have XP upgraded from 98se. Everything went fine except for one problem - I can only connect to my ISP once. If I disconnect and then try to reconnect, the connection fails at "Verifying Username and Password" with error 619. I have come across a number of instances of this on the web but no solutions. MS support has nothing either. I am using an external Diamond Supraexpress Pro 56e modem.

Could anyone else who is having this problem please post here so we can see if there might be a common denominator?

Thanks,
Colm

Its colmb here (different computer, different username :)

I fixed it :))

I did a number of things, but the one I reckon fixed it is to add the Microsoft firewall onto the dialup connection (right on the connection, properties, advanced, tick the firewall box). This solved the problem!

Not sure why this should be of course :) I am running zonealarm so don't need the MS firewall but hey, if it works. I have a feeling that doing this rebuild the connection in some way, so maybe just deleting the tcp/ip protocol and adding again might work. I'm leaving things as they are anyways :)

Cheers,
Colm

I have the exact same problem. It seems to be on and off though. Sometimes I can connect twice in a row, no prob, sometimes no way. Often it connects but there is no data transfer. Restart always helps, but that is no way to go. The built in firewall would be blocking my ip phoning apps...
Any advice would be great
smiletiniest.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back