Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem detects installs then doesn't detect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickyjew

Instructor
May 18, 2003
AU
Someone just installed XP Pro, tried to setup his old modem, XP detected it set it up as "Rockwell 56000 External Modem PnP" when he tried to connect, Windows could not detect "Please check your modem is connected and switched on". He went and bought a new modem, exactly the same thing happened, (I suspect it is the same modem in a different case, drivers were the same). Thats when he called me in. I did all the normal things, got exactly the same result, I removed the com drivers and restarted, same thing happened. I tried a completely different modem and got exactly the same result, Windows detected, setup and then couldn't detect when you went to use it, I tried forcing it to use the supplied drivers, same result.
OK I thought maybe the drivers for the com ports weren't set up properly, took home, got on the net with my ethernet adsl modem, tried to update driver, "has the most recent driver", went to VIA's website downloaded 4in1 and installed, same result.
I have also tried as a standard 56k v90 modem and a standard 56k modem.
Any suggestions???

I'm having the same sort of problem with an Intel 537ep modem. Computer says the modem is operating fine, but when I try to log online, I get a message that windows doesn't recognize a modem. Did you get a resolution to your problem, like I said, your problem sounds simular.
Thanks, Judy

I have to be honest it was that long ago I have forgotten. I think we tried a USB modem and that worked.
Sorry for taking so long to reply I've been hoping I would remember! :(. Too many computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back