Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem CRC errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayE

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
GB
Hi everyone,

If a modem experienced constant CRC errors and hardware overruns, is the problem caused by the modem?

We believe it is, because there's another US Robotics internal modem in the PC which works perfectly, BUT the Creative external modem has this problem. However, what's puzzling is that the same problem, except worse, affected the previous modem which was a Diamond Supra on the same port.

The line can't be at fault, because the problem affected the Diamond modem in our old offices (different phone lines) and when you switch the modem into another phone line the same problem is there.

What do you think?

Regards,
Jay/UK

You may be having troubles with your serial port. Was there a period of time when you first changed from the diamond to the 3com external that you have no problems with it? Or were the problems continual? Have you tried using a different modem cable? How often do you get the CRC errors? If it is constant, try testing the modem in hyperterminal. If you want a test to use, email me and I'll find one to forward to you that walks you through the procedure.
Good luck. hg

okay, need to add this part don't I...
email me at rhoghaa@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back