Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwullsch

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
I've got a problem connecting to the net. From a cold startup, my computer will not finish connecting to the net. I am using dial-up btw. The modem is a Creative Labs ModemBlaster 56K. If I simply restart the computer, it will connect immediately. I am using Windows 98SE. The computer is a custom built system, 1.0Ghz Duron, Epox 8kta3 MB, 256 MB ram, 40 GB WDD HD. Internet Explorer 6.0. Any ideas? Do I need new modem drivers, reinstall dial up networking? Thanks

I would check to see if u have the right drivers, i have one also(modem blaster) works great! but there is more than 1 driver. should be a number like 5456 or 5656 check on the back of the card, make sure to uninstall the old driver before installing the new, good luck

If it will connect I suspect that from a cold boot it wont load because there is too much starting up at that point.
If you cancel the connect on boot, let everything load, and then manually start it, will it go?
Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

You might want to verify the protocols that you are using, make sure that your only using one on the modem which should be TCP, not netbios, or ipx/spx. I found that If all are running on the modem settings, there will be times that the modem gets confused about what protocol it should use, which results in sometime connects, or no connects at all.

Good point stuckbmw :) Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

Thanks for the responses. I will check out the driver situation. I really don't have much stuff loading when the PC starts up. I manually start the dial up connection after the computer finishes loading. It doesn't start automatically. Sorry for the confusion there. Sometimes the computer will lock up when trying to connect the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back