Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem appears in Device Manager but not in Modems link in Ctrl Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttyt

MIS
Aug 14, 2001
US
I have a Dell PC with an Aztech MDP3900V-U modem installed. It worked for a while and then one day it stopped working. I went to Dell's website and downloaded their updated driver and followed their instructions to reinstall it.

It seemed to reinstall correctly. It was detected by windows and it seemed to like the drivers I fed it. However, it appears in Device Manager correctly but not in the Modems link in the Control Panel. Because of this I cannot add a new Dial-up Networking session.

I called and emailed Dell but they just keep telling me to do the same thing over and over again.

Has anyone seen this problem before or does anyone have any direction to point me in? It would be greatly appreciated.

Could it be a virus?

Thanks

Jason

I forgot to add that I'm using windows 98.

Also, it's not just the Aztech modem that is not working, I tried another modem in there that I know works and it did the same thing.

Thanks

Jason

I'm not familiar with your machine or the modem but here's a few things to look at...

1. Is it a PCI modem?
2. What IRQ and Address does DEVICE MANAGER show assigned to your modem?
3. Maybe it's assigned an IRQ or Address already being used by your on-board serial ports?
4. Do you have any other add-in cards in your machine which might conceivably conflict?
5. Some modems are reluctant to use ports other than COM1 or COM2, so try disabling the mobo on-board serial ports.
6. You could also try assigning (in the BIOS) a specific IRQ to the mobo slot your modem's using.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Thanks, but I reinstalled Windows and that fixed it.

Appreciate the response though.

nuttyt

I have a Dell PC with an Aztech MDP3900V-U modem installed. My internet connection status consistenly shows as connected at 26,400 bps. If this is a 56K modem shouldn't I be showing a higher bps connection. I worked with Dell tech support on this issue, but never really got a clear answer beyond a problem with my phone line. I have connected Mac laptops to my phone line and gotten much higher bps reading. Is it just the way PC report status is different from Mac, could my call waiting be an issue with this modem, or caller id software from SW Bell? Any suggestions or answers?

Sorry, first time using the board and I entered my question in the wrong area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back