Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem and Speed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikon01

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
Im a newbie when it comes to modems and such. I currently have a v4 lne100tx, with a di-704 dlink router, motorola cable modem.
Supposedly from a check that I did with the bandwidth place tells me that my connection is at 1.5mbs which is "fantastic." However when I use certain programs to download it seems that I'm not getting the speed that Im capable of. I've looked through posts of other users and found that they dl at speeds of up to 150kbs but i usually only get 5kbs if lucky. I know the site i dl from is a factor but does my modem suck? In other words can the type of modem i have affect my speed?

The limits on cable modems do not tend to be from the modems themselves, no. Plus the testing place ( perhaps?) says you are capible of getting 1.5 meg. I would run the tweak tool at that site for hints if your PC is at fault, if not it must be the sites you choose.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks for the reply. Looking for a little more insight into whether it is my ethernet card or possibly the fact that im using a router or maybe my isp just sucks. Mainly feedback as to whether its my hardware or if theres something I can change in terms of my firewall or changing my ethernet card to a better one?

Just run traceroute (or tracert if you are a windows user). It will give you a good idea of where the bottleneck is located. You'll get hop-by-hop RTTs (round trip times).

Run it to the sites where your performance is pretty good, and sites where your performance is poor. While it isn't absolutely the best tool out there, it is respectible.

Also, take a look at running traces from various looking glass servers. Especially to your problem sites and to yourself. You may well find that the issue is on their end, not yours.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back