Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobo Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volk359

Technical User
Jun 30, 2004
US
Greetings all,

I'm looking at replacing my existing mobo & graphics card and replacing them with something that's got a little more horsepower. I do a bit of video editing and gaming and am thinking of going with a GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor.

Questions I have are:

[ul]
[li]Is this a good board/combination for gaming?[/li]
[li]Should I go with the DDR2 or DDR3 RAM? (not sure what the diff is)[/li]
[li]Can someone recommend a good vid card in the $200 to $250 range?[/li]
[/ul]

Thanks in advance.

Volk359
PCIexpress interface
Latest DirextX10 compatible
Below $200
Then I would say an Nvidia 8600GT/or GTS is about the best in that price range (make sure it has DDR3 not DDR2)
From BFG/XFX/Leadtek/eVGA or similar branded.

The card of choice would have been an 8800GTS but I'm afraid they are out of this price range.

All readily available computer consumer products conform to the international ATX form factor standards, So YES, they are universal, your case (as long as it is less than five years old) will conform to these standards so this board will fit.
There are other considerations though! like adequate case cooling and a modern 24pin version 2.1 or higher quality power supply sufficiently rated (I cannot overstate the importance of a good quality PSU, this component is the back bone of any stable and reliable system)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Wow, good reviews on the 8800GTS! Perhap I should skimp on the beer this weekend and shell out the extra for a quality card. This probably means a bigger power supply but I figure it'd be worth it for a fast system.

Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back