Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobo shuts down my Athlon XP 3000 at 40 deg C

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecuttoff

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
GB
Hi there,
I have recently added an Athlon XP 3000+ to my system,
It seems to work fine until the CPU hits around 40 degrees C the motherboard shuts down the PC.

My system specs as follows:

MSI KT4 Ultra (mobo)
Speeze Raptorcool I CPU Cooler
Q-Tec 550W PSU
1 Gig RAM
1 SCSI and 2 IDE HDs
Geforce 4
Audiophlie 2496
Mackie UAD-1

The processer is at the outer limits of the mobos capabilites but is supported (according to their website).

I have the latest bios update and have tried swaping out the PSU.

I may need extra case cooling fans but 40 degrees seems kinda low for a critical shutdown.

Any suggestions? TIA.

Does your BIOS have a setting that you can change for shutdown temperature?

Yes, but I set it to 90 deg and then disabled it with no change.

Thanks though

If the cooler use low rpm the bios
could also shut the system down thinking that the
cpu fan is faulty.

Thanks guys,
I was getting the temp reading from both the bios and fuzzy logic. I figured it could be a old mobo - new fan issue. I have emailed MSI to see what they say.

In the mean time I`m running the CPU at 133FSB as apposed to 166FSB and its stopped shuting down (I`m at 44 deg C now)

Will running the CPU at a lower FSB damage it at all?

TIA.

No running it with 266 insted of 333 is no prob.

Thanks SYAR2003,

How about if I bump up the FSB to a level below 166 that will not shut me down?

Have you looked at your BIOS level for this board? I found this on MSI's site for a KT4-Ultra (MS-6590). Take note of fix number 2. As there are other KT4 models there, I'm not sure that this BIOS release is for your board or not, but I found it interesting that your problem was addressed.

KT4_Ultra v. 1.4 484 kb AMD AMI BIOS 4/29/2003 1723
1. This is AMI BIOS release.
2. This BIOS fixes the following problems of the previous version:
- Modifies CPU temperature detection
- Addes "CPU Halt Command Detection" item in BIOS Setup
- Supports AMD XP Barton 2600+ (FSB 333) CPU

Better flash th mb with the latest bios file eh.

There is one other thing about the XP3000
if you want it stable at 333mhz make sure it don't gets undervolted. You should check with monitoring software
that the vcore voltage is at 1,65v or higher.
Some motherboards (including my own) gives less voltage even when specified
1,65 ,if so ajust it manually in BIOS to compensate .

Thanks guys, I`ll look into those.

Even after I reduced the FSB the mobo still shuts me down but at a higher temp, around 55 to 60 deg C. I have now put my old XP 2000+ back in. If the same problem occurs then I know that the mobo does not like the low fan speed.

Oh Yeah, I updated to that bios version some time ago, I`m waiting for another update that actually mentions the 3000+

As you are swapping these CPUs in and out, are you cleaning the heat sinks and reapplying thermal grease or thermal pads?

Now, When using my XP+2000 the temp rise is more gradual, even at full load. It happily operates at 30C when idle and about 40C to 45C when at 90% CPU usage.

So I definity need more cooling as the 3000+ obviously runs hotter faster.

After taking the XP3000+ out I have noticed that there seems to be a dark ring around the rised contact part of the chip, is this normal or is there a possiblity of damage.

I think that the XP3000+ was running at 1.65v but my XP2000+ is now running at 1.76v, would this make a big differance in the temp?

TIA.

The xp3000+ was installed with a brand new cooler (and thermal pad) and Yes I`ve cleaning and adding new paste.

Thank though

Should of bought a Barton not a Tbred that where you went wrong from the begining the barton has a FSB of 400 and the Tbred is 333 like you know. Might be a doggy cpu would get another one but try and get a Barton ! try and make sure you match the FSB of the CPU with the speed of your RAM aswell more stable.

thecuttoff !

It sort of depends on the quality of the particular cpu
but some people can get their amd's to run okay
even at lower vcore than 1,65v .

You could try running it at 333mhz with lower vcore
this will reduce the heat/wattage of the cpu.

Try backing down one step at the time in
your bios (e.g 1,625V , 1,6V , and so on)
Test and see if it runs,this could be a temporary solution
until you get a more powerful cooler.

SYAR

Hi mate ive got the same mobo and had constant problems when i updated from 2600 to 2800 mobo will shut down.

even the bios and everything was updated. so what i done to fix the problem was

reset bios via jumper, enter bios setup all ur hdd etc up again, dont touch memory settings, change cpu shutdown to 75c and set the fsb to 156 instead of 166. You should fine that the system will run ultra stable. and if u want increment this number by one until u find it starts freezing again

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back