Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOBO Mishap (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wassup393

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
AU
I recently bought an upgrade kit (2 months ago) which included:

1800+ Athlon XP CPU
No-Name Mobo with recent AMI Bios;
Mobo has SiS chipset with everything onboard
256mb Cheap RAM
ATX Case with underrated power supply

I installed my old parts which include:

4gb Seagate HDD
50x CDROM Drive
10x CD Burner
FDD

The reason I'm writing all this is that I have absolutely no idea at all what the problem is.
I've been using the PC steadily since I bought it and up until now has shown no signs of error.
Yesterday I was playing with partitions and I tried to boot up of a startup disk. It began to read the disk and then packed up and the screen cut off. I actually had to physically reset the bios via the jumper to get it to start again. Then I entered the bios to input the settings: time date etc., and it behaved very strangely.
I tried to autodetect the HDD and it said not installed, and said the same for the other IDE positions except for the secondary master (CD Burner) which came up as a type 14 HDD (??). When I loaded the default settings it booted up and went fine until I tried to turn it on the next day and it went back to the start, I had to reset the BIOS.

Please help me, as I have no clue.

Sam

Probable M/B croak. But you could try replacing the battery and resetting to default then setup again and see if that helps. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back