Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mobile devices - repairs and support

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymaechtlen

Technical User
Jul 19, 2004
US
When a business issues a cell phone, how is support usually handled?
- say it loses texts, or doesn't notify the user of voicemails, or - whatever.

Is it usually handled by IT first, or does the user call the carrier's support, or what?

What if there's a management app on it?
if a device needs repair, does the user return it to IT for handling?

Surely the business can best answer these questions.

Specifically, the minion who made you sign a receipt for the device should be contacted about difficulties therewith.

Thanks, I should have clarified.

I'm a technical writer, helping the IT dept of a SoCal city update their policies and procedures.
Lots of things are obsolete or just not written down.
Also, I've been given almost no contact with the IT department.

So, part of my job is to come up with some "best practices" where gaps exist.
The leaders (managers, and CTO) can/will revise it however they like, but my job is to give them a good set of recommendations.

Yeah, I'm a "technical writer", not really an IT guy. The good news is, I've worked with IT groups for quite a while, and have worked with a lot of this when updating docs for a law firm a couple years ago.

Hence the strange request.

So, would you have the user contact the carrier for first level tech support?
Or do you just swap the device out for a fresh one at the first hint of trouble?
or???

Thanks!
Jay

...come up with some 'best practices'..."

Well there is you answer. In YOUR opinion, you state what you think is a best practice.

So here's what's possibly to happen. You create the straw man. To goes to committee or the boss. It gets shot at. The holes get fixed. Maybe another round(s). Then out comes Policies and Procedures.

Thanks!
That's kind of what I'm doing - at a previous project, I reviewed the a lot of the client's procedures, and helped rewrite and update their mobile device policy.
But, I figured some more input would be nice.
- I get hired to do the dangdest things...
Regards
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back