Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile Data or Pocket WiFi? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sartechy

Technical User
Apr 1, 2024
HK
Hey everyone,

I'll be visiting South Korea soon and am trying to figure out the best way to have internet access while traveling around. For those who have been, would you recommend just getting a local SIM card for mobile data, or renting a pocket WiFi device?

It seems like either option should work, but I'm not sure if one tends to be more reliable or a better value. Any tips from your experiences? Mostly be using it for basic browsing, maps and messaging. data speeds aren't too important.

Just wondering if one tends to work better than the other for getting connected while sightseeing on the go. Appreciate any advice from those in the know!

How many days will you be staying in Seoul, and does your phone support eSIM, @sartechy? When I visited Seoul some years back, to purchase a SIM card for extended usage as a foreigner in South Korea you needed to have a passport and an alien registration card. I am not certain whether this has been different in the recent times. Another option you can try is renting a mobile phone (with a sim card) at the airport. If you don’t have to make voice or phone calls or send text messages, then renting a portable WiFi egg is a better option for you. Another advantage of a WiFi egg is that you can connect multiple devices, so if you’ll be bringing a phone, tablet and laptop, this is the way to go.

I'll be in Seoul for about a week. Unfortunately my phone doesn't support eSIM. Renting a WiFi egg does sound like the more flexible option since I'll have my phone, tablet and laptop with me. I'll have to look into renting one from the airport. Appreciate you sharing your experience. By the way, I noticed some options for connecting with local guides on [URL unfurl="true"]https://gowithguide.com/korea/seoul/guides[/url] - have you used a service like that before to learn more about the city from locals?

I have used GoWithGuide in Japan before, but not in South Korea. Connecting with a local guide is a great way to get personalized recommendations off the beaten path and learn about the city from an insider's perspective. Spending a week there gives you the option of getting a local SIM card, but renting a WiFi egg might be more convenient. Enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back